Skip to main content

Initial Entry

Just moved into the house, just cleaning and getting it sorted so I can leave it for a little while until I finish the other renovation.  I did tear out the cabinets in the garage, and install some temporary lights.  Did find that there are 2 load bearing posts in those cabinet walls, so those will have to remain, but I can work around that.





Most of the work is sealing all the air gaps, entry points for rodents, and any other glaring issues.  Major fixes include:
  • Caulked all window gaps
  • Changed locks
  • Fixed minor leak in the Master Bedroom sink drain
  • Filled all holes and gaps with rockwool or foam
  • Added door and bottom seals to the garage doors
  • Fixed the 2nd garage door opener
  • Removed screens
  • Removed satellite dish
  • Filled low-level cracks in the exterior with sanded caulk, will do the rest later when I have a ladder
  • Balanced heat registers to more evenly heat the home from floor to floor
  • Replaced rear outdoor light with a better fixture rather than the generic flood light
  • Started removing any plants that are close to the house
  • Removed loose stair railing
Unfortunately the cable company is slow getting the new cable buried so I likely won't have permanent internet setup in time to install the timers, cameras, and thermostat before I leave.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front Window Removal

 Starting the process to remove the terrible window above the entry door.  The vent above it was allowing quite a bit of water in which case a fair amount of rot in the roof joists.  So I will need to shore them up.

Garage Door Openers

Old garage doors/openers had issues.  No remote for one, iffy remote connection for the others, and very noisy and bumpy.  Doors themselves were ok, but put new rollers in, and found a good deal on modern 3/4 hp garage door openers.  Got one installed.

More Room For Activities

 Knew there was some empty space under the stairs, good use of space for long-term storage. Could put a door on it but probably doesn't need it since that is all in a closet already.  I'll reinforce the upper beam and remove the 2 studs.